Russell Real Estate Services would like to make your move as smooth as possible. We have compiled a list to help you remember everything, even the little things, when making your move.
Hiring A Moving Company
If you plan on hiring a moving company, you might want to do some research first. Please review the sites below for more great information about moving and to find a company whose services fit you best.
- National Moving Network
- 123 Movers
- American Moving and Storage Association
- Movers Directory
- Van Lines
- U Haul
What do I look for when hiring a moving company?
The American Moving and Storage Association (AMSA) offers a Certified Mover Program for moving companies throughout the United States. This program consists of professional movers that have agreed to follow "Code of Conduct," by responding to customers both ethically and in a timely manner.
This group of movers offers:
- Efficient and reliable transportation of household goods
- Storage of household goods
- Professional service
- Prompt customer service when dealing with complaints
Feel free to visit the American Moving and Storage Association for more information.
Some homebuyers choose to move themselves and their belongings. It you want to save time and money by taking on this endeavor yourself, be sure that you have ample packing supplies. Please review the sites below for some informative resources about purchasing boxes, bubble wrap, labels and tape.
- Rent a Crate
- All Boxes Direct
- KHL Express
- Move Out
- Dial a Box
- Packaging Price
- Direct Moving Boxes
The Day of the Move
The day has finally arrived! As excited as you and your family maybe about your new home and its surroundings, moving can make everything seem uncertain. It is important to take a deep breath and try not to be stressed.
Here is a list of important things you should remember when your moving day arrives:
- Designate specific items that you need, that should not be packed with the rest on your belongings.
- If you have children, make sure that they have at least two special items to take with them for the trip.
- Make sure you remove all trash from your current residence.
- If you are using a moving company or friends and family, specify certain unloading areas.
- Make sure there are ample walkways for moving large pieces as well as boxes of your belongings.
- If you are using a moving company, reiterate those specific items that need special attention and handled-with-care.
- Remember to meet the needs of those helping in your move by supplying them with food, beverages and restroom facilities.
- Lastly, if you are using a moving company, please remember to read and sign all paperwork, documenting anything that transpired during the moving process.
Tying Up All of the Loose Ends
You have survived the move and are now in your new house, so now what? There are many things that still need to be done because all of the unpacking. Please remember to:
- Call your local utilities company
- Call the telephone company
- Call the boarding kennels where your pets are located